Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Lake Almanor



Lake Almanor is a broad, shallow reservoir south of Mount Lassen, located on the north fork of the Feather River. Lake levels rise and fall through 10-20 feet seasonally depending on the year. The shoreline includes a diversity of landforms, including marshes, low bluffs, and beaches.  On my fairly quick drive down the eastern shore, I caught a few of these.




This post, along with the next several, are from a very nonlinear road trip in June. No route between Seattle and Madison, no matter how contrived, contains all that many beaches (although on some previous trips I've looked pretty hard), so some of the following sites are a little bit of a stretch. But I've noted before that this blog, despite it's title (and subtitle), allows for some flexibility. The common theme is that posts should be based on a relatively specific place and have some relevance to shorelines and/or geology. Which I think these all will.

While this trip only generated a small number of posts here, it did (or soon will) result in two dozen posts on my other blog. For readers of Gravel Beach that are also interested in extended road trips, obscure (and not so obscure) National Parks, state high points, geographic trivia, roadside geology, and glimpses into the peculiar things that float my boat (besides beaches), you might check out hshipman: Road Trip 2015 (in progress - it will be a few days before I catch up over there, too).




No comments: