Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Mystery Bay





I think the reason these posts got stalled back in April was that I kept meaning to go back to the geologic maps and do some homework.  I still haven't, but it's time to move on.

There is a band of Tertiary bedrock (reddish sandstone) that runs roughly east-west through the southern part of Marrowstone and Indian Islands.  It first appears a short distance north of Mystery Bay (on the inner shore of Marrowstone) and is exposed well into the southern part of the harbor.

What I found most impressive was the exposure above the rock seawall on the lead photo. That's till on top, but look at those beautifully cross-bedded, angular sandstone cobbles! I'm surmising that this is the result of the glacier advancing southward across the sandstone surface (but those stones are dipping north) -- this is another of those spots where I wish there had been a better geologist along to help explain this.

AERIAL VIEW

No comments: