Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wen,Na,Nec











I like that every time I come to Salt Spring, I find one or two new beaches. This one was unexpected and a new favorite. It's actually a couple of beaches along the exposed rocky shoreline at the south end of the island. The easternmost beach is a extremely well-sorted gravel pocket beach. The western beach is more complicated and is actually a small tombolo with fringing pocket beaches on each side.


These small beaches lie on land of the Tsawout First Nation and I really appreciated that they have allowed it to remain accessible. Hiswke - thank you! My apologies that my font options don't allow me all the proper accents/characters on the name of this site. This felt like a very special spot. And clearly, it had been special to many, many people before me, as witnessed by the anthropogenic stratigraphy of the exposed banks.



AERIAL VIEW (Google Maps)

The trees hanging over the rocky cliffs included both Madrone (Arbutus here in Canada) and Garry Oaks, which are fairly common in the Gulf Islands.



No comments: