Saturday, March 06, 2010

Mackie Park




We keep coming back to Mackie Park here in Maxwelton. Today, it is partly to check on the progress of the new spit and partly as a trail head for our long hike down to Scatchet Head.

I've reported on Maxwelton before (April 2009, March 2007), where the accretion of a sandy spit, and its progressive growth downdrift (to the north), has led to significant changes at the park. The spit has now made the ramp pretty dysfunctional (as a boat ramp, but the kids were loving playing the stream).

1 comment:

Jonathan Evelegh said...

Shouldn’t let your kids play in the so-called stream. It’s pretty much untreated sewage. Several dogs have developed skin problems after immersing themselves. When I fell in, I slipped off a log up to my waist. A woman observing this fiasco said, “The same thing happened to me last week. I went in up to my knees.” I was in such a hurry to get home and shower off that I neglected to reply, “There’s a lot of difference between the knees and the waist.”