Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sunset Beach



The northwest shore of Oahu is famous for its huge winter surf. I remember hearing about the Banzai Pipeline and Waimea Bay when I was a kid, probably on Wide World of Sports on a Saturday afternoon (probably not the same Saturday afternoon I saw Endless Summer). It's pretty neat to see the real places, even if today's waves are pretty tame (they're the result of easterly trade winds wrapping around the north end of the island - whereas the winter surf is generated by swells thrown off by North Pacific storms). The waves may not have been huge, but the shore break looked brutal enough in a couple of places I worried a little bit about some of the kids. And I know those guys offshore are only a few feet of water way from a jagged bottom. Last day - time to go back to North America.

No comments: