Sunday, May 14, 2006

Florida






The Flagler whom Fort Flagler (previous post) was named is NOT the same one who built the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach and the railroad out to Key West. But that's where we are now. This is definitely not Puget Sound. Everything here is made out of calcium carbonate or some derivative of it. The rocks, the beaches, and the buildings.

Just like I suppose I should visit Glacier Bay (fast forward two years - Glacier Bay) while there is still a glacier in the bay, I thought I better visit South Florida while there's still a South Florida. For two days, the only time I was more than a few feet above sea level was on highway overpasses, hotel rooms, and observation towers. I wonder what it will look like 100 years from now?

Note the use of 20-story hurricane deflectors along the backshore of many of these beaches.

No comments: